Sitting in the waiting area of my Oncologist office anxiously awaiting the nurse to call me in for my results of my 3 month check/follow-up after completing Chemo and radiation therapy. Feeling good and hair is growing back in so not expecting any negative reports. Browsing through magazines made available to occupy the waiting time. They have lots of foodies focus magazine delighting in the great photos of all sorts to entertain the palate. All is well then suddenly, there it is a visual reminder all days were not great. The picture of Frutopia was a definite trigger for me. I shriek liken to the photo below, lol.
What was so concerning about this beverage? Thanks I couldn’t wait for you to ask, lol. A picture in an ad displaying Frutopia.
This fruit flavored beverage was pretty popular in the mid-late 1990’s. It was provided as an option to aid in providing possible comfort to the tongue from metallic mouth. One of the side effects of chemo and radiation is a metallic taste in your mouth. Although it was presented with good intentions, at that time in 1995 was a very hard battle with cancer, little to no appetite and very difficult to hold down food without puking. The other issue was morphine for the extreme pain I had to endure.
A very ever so kind nurse brought it to me in hopes of remedying the nausea and other issue. Upon the first sip of this beverage from a straw it did not taste good with metallic mouth. So I immediately spit it out, went into sheer panic mode. Pressing the call button, screaming and ranting “this nurse came in my room to kill me, she is feeding me poison”. Again this particular nurse was one of the best ever during my then 50 day stay in the hospital. I did have a few lack of care events but this time it was more dilutions from morphine. In an attempt to calm me down, the nurse tried to explain the nutritional benefits as I have not been able to eat anything for a good while. As the nurse manager and other staff rush in to my room with concern. The nurse, totally disappointed and upset at this point over my reaction upon exiting my room stated “I wasn’t trying to kill you, in fact what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”. At that moment this only further convinced me my dilution is perhaps not a dilution but reality.
Sadly, I never saw that nurse again but upon discharge from hospital 3 weeks later I delivered a letter of sincere apology and gratitude to her as I in my clear mind was able to see she meant the best and wanted me to get some nutrients to aid in managing the negative effects of chemo.
Light at the end of the tunnel. The follow-up tests and reports are great. I on my way to full recovery. But no interest in trying Frutopia, not even sure it is still in the markets. Won’t be looking for it.
It’s game day and really exciting stuff expected at the Super Bowl, but what would game day be without the pups. Gracie is not much for taking sides so she got all dolled up to cheer on the teams.
Animal Planet Puppy Bowl Highlights
Me lonely?? Yes, not desperate but wanting companionship, affection, warm and fuzzy feeling on the inside. I like to believe I am an extrovert as I must get out, must be out, want out. Feel really stifled and panicked when I am shut in. So many options for dating, meeting the one, making connections.
Why are you lonely? Glad you asked,lol. I enjoy being social, friendly and am very adaptable so there should be no issue. I have joined many, social, dating sites. Very happy with the response received from my profiles. What I apparently lack is the alarm, warning bell, insight that screams stalker.
Interested in a few examples? Sure you are, lol.
1. You: said you hate clingy women, need to have a life, independent. Accepting you are very busy with work, etc. and happy with occasional dinner, movie, etc. Me: Great, I am busy also, not a lot of time for traditional dating. You: Great, perfect. Okay now you are calling me frequently throughout the day, evening. Making me aware of your every move, task, etc. Why are you now angry, and becoming hostile when I suggest you do not call/text so much and do not respond to every text/call? Why are you still calling and harassing me when I suggest we stop communicating.
2. You: enjoyed the company, looking forward to future dates. Much in common. Me: Wonderful, great debater, chivalrous which I find rare. Impressed you drove 40 miles out of your way to meet near me. Issue, why do you just pop up unannounced. Perhaps we should slow down and take time out and away from each other. You: No woman can be trusted, one night you didn’t return my call because you were asleep, I know that wasn’t true. The hood of your car was warm. Me: You live 40 miles away and traveled to my home to check the temperature on the hood of my car? No more, it’s over.
3. You: I will let you out from the locked closet in my shop, when you agree to accept my proposal of marriage. Me: Just to escape. Accepted the ring and proposal. Moved, changed phone numbers, etc. You: waiting around my favorite shops, eateries, Salons, etc.
These few experiences and many more to share down the road, have caused much concern for going out and attempting the dating thing. For now, I delight in hanging out with my dogs.
Many, many more….searching for you in the daytime with a flashlight otherwise known as stalking. Male or female is this you? You will never be happy, truly happy stalking another. If you feel this behavior is necessary that person is not for you. They are not the one
Great time for celebration…..
Here are today’s five thing to know about Hot Chocolate:
- What’s the difference between Hot Chocolate and Hot Cocoa? Hot Chcolate uses milk or milk chocolate while Hot Cocoa uses only powdered cocoa
- The first hot chocolate was Mayan, and it was served with chili peppers!
- In Spain, hot chocolate with churros is considered a working man’s breakfast.
- Hot chocolate has antioxidants and flavonols, very healthy nutrients. Just skip the sugar.
- Chocolate is the 3rd most traded commodity in the world. 1st is oils, 2nd is coffee.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1893 The Coca-Cola trademark was recorded.
- 1930 Scotch tape was developed by Richard Drew of the 3M Company.
- 1980 Due to record high sugar prices, Coca Cola begins substituting high fructose corn syrup for half of the sucrose (sugar) used in Coca Cola.
- 1990 The first McDonald’s restaurant in Moscow, Russia opens.
View original post 21 more words
Here we have another foiled attempt for a delight that although did not go as planned, had a great outcome. Had a craving for fish tacos, there is a local restaurant that in my opinion has the best.
The issue: Finance, I am on a really tight budget.
Solution: Make your own at home.
Ingredients at home
Cabbage(half head in refrigerator more than enough
Fish( Van de Kamp’s battered fillets)
Gorton’s Fish Sticks
No cilantro so next best thing La Victoria(has cilantro in it)
Kosher Corn Tortillas.
Okay, here is the major problem. I am starving and forget to preheat oven for the fish. The salsa and cabbage don’t taste too bad together. Change of plans, I heat up the tortillas for 22 seconds in the microwave. Place cabbage and salsa on warmed tortillas which are now soft and delicious.
Here we have home made fish tacos. Remember everything is not as it appears, lol.
One might disagree and say what a mess, but I say I was hungry, lol
This photo is displaying chicken noodle soup. What’s that where is the chicken?? Glad you asked. Entered the kitchen with all intentions of making chicken noodle soup. Indeed a hearty, warm delight appropriate for the cold, chilly weather. I have water boiling for the wholesome wheat egg noodles..Unfortunately I had not put much thought to the necessary ingredients. Noodles are boiled and rinsed with cool water. In reviewing the recipe I acquired from Google I quickly concluded this will not work. You see the recipe called for celery, I love celery but not cooked, carrots are great in a salad as a snack, in cake and juiced but cooked, I’ll pass. The recipe called for chicken breast, I only had boneless chicken thighs available. Okay, cannot throw out noodles as I really do not like wasting food. So, I store the cooked noodles in a storage bag for later use. Now I totally change up and begin the preparation for beef stew, again no interest in cooked carrots or celery. My recipe most likely won’t make the top of a cooking challenge but who needs that pressure?
Boiled beef chuck cut in cubes, as the beef got tender I added Mrs. Dash original blend, black pepper, white pepper, little garlic powder, minced onions and a can of Swanson beef broth. May sound odd but very flavorful. Years back I loved cutting up onions, garlic and grinding pepper. Now in the present I am quite content with using the already ground and chopped. I did labor over cutting up the potatoes, lol. When the meat and potatoes were completely cooked. I wasn’t quite satisfied, not enough carbohydrates for me. Considered rice which I love but too impatient to await it boiling. Oh wow, the noodles, yes that will do it. As I give this meal some thought I really should have vegetables, perhaps another day. So, you see this is chicken noodle soup, lol.